Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chicken Soup for a punk rock lil boy

I came home to find my boy with a bonafide fever of 102 (for the first time in 10 years!). I'm making Jewish penicillin (chicken soup) and loving life right now; the house smells fantastic and I'm remembering when my own mother would cook it for me...
a standard chicken soup: saute 2 onions, 4 carrots, 3 celery with salt & pepper. Then I put that stuff in a big pot with some broth (I use veggie bullion so I can divide in half for my vegetarian food), bay leaves, parsley, and thyme. Then I brown up an organic free range whole chicken with gloves on (ew!) and sea salt and crush black pepper on that. (I boil up the hearts and liver stuff for my puppies on the side). I divide out the veggie broth mix and add the chicken to the main pot and low simmer for about an hour or so and then pull the chicken to cool while I make Matzo balls. I make the matzo balls the way my mom did, from a box (ha!): the directions say to beat two eggs and 1/4 cup of oil together, add the mix and let stand 15 min, I wet my hands and then make lil walnut sized balls. I then pull the meat off the bones (Gloves!) and feed my puppies the skin&extra and add it to the meat batch. I bring it to a boil and add the matzo balls, roll them around a lil in the broth and then put a lid on to cook those balls for 30 min (They look like brains, hahah) at a nice steamy boil. the kids like noodles, so I added some egg noodles and cooked those.

I put it in a bowl and delivered it to my boy with plenty of water and Sons of Anarchy marathon on netflix (with Kevin smith intermissions).... the boy's fever broke by 4 pm, he took a shower and a walk, and this morning he went back to school, ready to conquer the world. <3 It was a good time. And, we didn't have to stoop to low levels and see the quack doctor for quack antibiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment