Sunday, October 17, 2010

Madman Across the Water--Troy Timpel's Method to the Madness

Troy Timpel,



Troy With Jeff Fletcher and Nick Less at Beer City

The Madman at Philadelphia Eddie's 621 Tattoo, and Beyond
I first met Troy Timpel at his Milwaukee Beer City Festival-- Hoodied up, silver hair a flyin' and work-set eyes, the man was instantly attractive to me. Admittedly, the man is fine as hell: Adidas shoes, cargo shorts, maniac eyes in a hoodie -- every time I've seen him since. As I've learned more of this ringleader, I've come to treasure the madman-type who came up in  Wisconsin and was hand grown on skateboard art and punk rock, gone now to Philly to orchestrate his empire.

I'm fascinated by his art, his tattoos, but most of all I'm especially drawn to the Renaissance style in which he conducts his business life. From owning and operating one of the oldest tattoo shops in Philly, the Villain Arts publishing, the world-famous Tattoo Kingpin Tattoo conventions, to "The Compound" of artists and creative-type friends he maintains in Fishtown (Philly), then adding his interests in home brews and other miscellaneous projects. I'm sure this man never sleeps--or if he does, it is with one eye open dreaming up the next thing.

 I've been tattooed by him twice in Philly at Eddies, and I love his shop more than Tony Lukes. True story: that place is is packed with amazing artists fantastic conversation, heritage, and  smokin' hot-sauce artists compared only to the heaven that is my favorite greens samich at Tony Lukes.



Don Jaun, Bird, T, Mike Lebroffe and a couple of others are some of the nicest most well rounded fellas that side of the Liberty Bell. They chattered and drew and had a good time while I was inside the cozy confines of the lil' Fourth Street shop (in Old Town, Philly). We discuss spiritual versus religious themes in art as well as Troy's "furry" experience, and a myriad of other topics; nothing is taboo in Troy's temple. He surrounds himself with real folks who do real tattoos, who paint and listen and to punkrock, and who still have bands like the Cro Mags show up at their birthday parties (invite me this year Don JAUN!). Monster phoenix's and large scale drawings adorn Troy's small work area. When this guy talks about not needing the ego stroking in our interview: it totally shows. His coil machines were lovingly crafted working-mans machines (hand made by his buddy Ernie d- Delux Irons-Resurrection). All this said, the man is loved and has a nest that is fiercely 'about it'.

Center tent-post intact, the ringmaster branches out: hosting conventions everywhere. Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Baltimore, Philly, Chicago and soon Costa Rica--Villain Arts has hit it. His conventions are always a blast, a gathering of lovely carnival-type family, breaking bread with folks like the Show Devils, the Freak Kings, Suspensions by Crash, and Olde City Side Show--The man has a supreme talent at bringing local bands, MC’s and talent a true knack for picking the most wide variety of shit to rock the party. The conventions always appear flawless to the collectors and artists gathered-- staying and getting ink done and having a good time. Jaws are always sure to be dropped with what Troy and his friends have put together.


With all of his endeavors, the man takes in each moment with the client  in his chair. He pays careful attention to the details, and dot's every filigree in the dagger, so to speak. The man is a quiet whirlwind, honest to the core, and passionate not only in his words, but his deeds. Troy continues to give of himself 150 percent charitably to his community.  To say he is an asset to the tattooing/tattooed community at large is an under statement.

He says that whens it's all said and done, he'd like to travel, Spain being first on his list.-- I am sure they won't know what hit em'.


So, you're a mad man. I get that. Would you mind briefly listing all of the tattoo-related projects in which you are involved? I OWN AND OPERATE VILLAINARTS.COM WHICH FEATURES A LOT OF BOOK PROJECTS, CLOTHING, AND FINE ART. I AM GETTING READY TO UPDATE A LOT OF FINE ART ORIGINALS TO THE SITE , YEARS OF COMPULSIVE PAINTING.

You attended Art School in Wisconsin , how does that training and region work into your art today? I WENT TO MIAD(MILWAUKEE INSTITUTE OF ART AND DESIGN).. IT GAVE ME A STRONG BASE IN GENERAL ART AND LOOSEND MY HAND UP...

Other than at Philadelphia Eddies, what's your convention schedule like, where can people get the Kingpin experience? PHILADELPHIA FEB 4,5,6, COSTA RICA MARCH 11,12,13TH, AND LOUISVILLE KY TBA.. I HAVE A FEW SHOWS THAT I AM PLANNING TO ATTEND AND START TRAVELING A BIT MORE NEXT SPRING. I HAVEN'T BEEN TRAVELING FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS NOW, BUT KIND OF MISS THE ROAD, AND THINK I'M GOING TO START DOING SOME SHOWS AGAIN IN 2011.
You paint prolifically, and I enjoy the watercolor you donated for the Art for Animals... you once told me you like painting in washes on wood in a mixed-medium capacity. Can you further describe your painting style? I PAINT COMPULSIVELY. I GUESS THE STYLE WOULD BE THE TRADITIONAL SAILOR SPIT SHADE TYPE OF WATERCOLOR, BUT I HAVE KIND OF MORPHED IT INTO TAKING IT INTO A DIFFERENT PLACE. MY NEWER WORK HAD ALOT OF SOFT LAYERING AND BUILD UPS. I DO ALOT OF PORTRAIT BUILD UP THINGS WITH IN MIXES OF STYLES TO GET DIFFERENT EFFECTS AND ALTERNATE COMPOSITIONS.
How many skateboard decks have you designed--Is there a knack to that? Because you've got that shit on lock-down. I SANDED AND PAINTED DOWN ALOT OF JUNK DECKS FLOATING AROUND MY BUILDING. ALOT OF MY ART IS PAINTED ON RANDOM THINGS I FIND AROUND THE COMPOUND. RIGHT NOW I JUST HAD MY CONSTRUCTION CREW CUT UP 20 HOTEL DOORS I STOLE OFF A DEMO SITE. THEY WERE TO SMALL TO USE IN THE COMPOUND CONSTRUCTION FOR BUILDING CODES, SO NOW THEY ARE GOING TO GET PAINTED. A GOOD FRIEND AND FELLOW PHILADELPHIA EDDIES ARTIST MIKE LEBROFFE AND I ARE SETTING THEM ALL UP IN THE 3 RD FLOOR HALLWAYS. WE ARE JUST DOING TO HAVE PAINTING NIGHTS WITH RANDOM PEOPLE...


Quixotic Knuckles
Speaking of skating, and skate-art: you mentioned you were heavily influenced as a youngster by skateboard mags and the non-traditional non "highbrow" stuff within. Now that 'lowbrow, tattooing, and "alternative" have blown up corporately everywhere-- what's next? Is there a ceiling to this shit, where do you suggest the kids look to seek out the new rebellion? HEROIN! JUST KIDDING. MASS MARKETING REBELLION IS LIKE SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL. THERE IS ALOT OF MOMENTUM BUILT UP FOR A VARIETY OF COUNTER CULTURAL THINGS THAT I LIKE. I STILL MISS GETTING IN FIGHTS WITH REDNECKS FOR BEING PUNKROCK, HAVING OLD LADIES GIVE ME DIRTY LOOKS FOR BEING TATTOOED, AND EVERYTHING BEFORE IT WAS THE TREND... CLICKING YOUR HEELS 3 TIMES DOESN'T BRING YOU BACK THERE....
What drives that amount of prolific work ethic? Do you ever sit still? I PROBABLY SHOULD BE ON SOME KIND OF A.D.D. MEDS OR SOMETHING. I JUST LIKE TO MAKE THINGS, AND REALLY ENJOY THE OPPORTUNITIES LIFE HAS GIVEN ME TO MAKE THEM HAPPEN. I PAINT AND DRAW VERY FAST. I THINK THAT HELPS WITH THE AMOUNT OF VOLUME OF EACH I PUT OUT. I HAVE DONE FULL BACK PIECES IN 3 SITTINGS 9 HOURS. 4X8' PAINTINGS IN 6 HOUR ONE SITTING, ETC... MY HAND HAS GOTTEN PRETTY LOOSE OVER THE YEARS....

Speaking of your busy life...you "butt-dialed" me yesterday, and I admit, I stayed on the line. What was all that heavy lifting in the background? It didn't sound like tattooing, what was that? Seriously, do you ever not work? I TAKE ONE DAY OFF A WEEK, BUT I STAY BUSY. LUCKILY I LIKE WHAT I DO, AND I THINK THAT MAKES ALOT OF DIFFERENCE.



Villian Arts Entertainment at Beer city
The Freak Kings

Any clue (guess) as to how many books in which you've  been mentioned or published  (magazines not included)? NO IDEA. I JUST FOUND ONE RECENTLY I FORGOT ABOUT THAT I WROTE THE INTRO TO, AND THEY PUT MY NAME ON THE COVER. IT WAS COOL.. I GOT A POLISH TATTOO MAGAZINE THIS WEEK SENT TO ME. THEY INTERVIEWED ME AND EDDIE, AND GAVE US 20 SOME PAGES. IT WAS AMAZING, I THINK. DON'T REALLY KNOW BECAUSE I DON'T SPEAK POLISH, BUT IT LOOKED COOL...
How many books have you published ? INCREASING EVERY MONTH, AND ADDING TITLES. CHECK IT OUT ON VILLAINARTS.COM. WE PRINT EVERYTHING IN HOUSE, AND HAVE ALOT OF REALLY FUN TATTOO ART BOOKS.
What’s up with your tattoo work--where’s your style heading? I STILL REALLY LIKE A COMBO OF JAPANESE/TRADITIONAL. I HAVE A LITTLE FLAIR TO IT THAT I LIKE. I ALSO ENJOY DOING REALLY FUNNY WEIRD ONES, LIKE IN MY "COCK BLOCK" BOOK. THAT BOOK IS MY FAVORITE. I TATTOO EVERYTHING THOUGH, AND LIKE TO PUT A LITTLE TWIST ON IT. I STILL DO ALOT OF PORTRAIT/REALISM STUFF ALSO...
What does it take to be a Kingpin?A STRONG LIVER I GUESS... AND TO BE WILLING TO BURN THE CANDLE AT BOTH ENDS...
Troy's only tattoo peeking above his shirt seam is a candle burning at both ends...






What is your favorite kind of tattoo project? I JUST DID AN ALMOST FULL LEG SLEEVE LAST WEEK THAT WAS REALLY FUN. I OUTLINED IT SUNDAY, AND COLORED THE FOLLOWING SUNDAY. HE WAS FROM PORTLAND, AND NEEDED THE WHOLE THING DONE WHILE HE WAS VISITING. IT WAS BIG, BRIGHT SEA-TURTLES JAPANESE STYLE IN WATER. WHOLE LEG OF IT. REALLY FUN. 7 HOURS OF COLOR IS THE MOST TATTOO I HAVE PUT ON SOMEONE IN ONE SITTING. I HAVE ANOTHER PIECE I AM EXCITED ABOUT ON A FRIEND OF MINE. SHE IS GETTING A JOHN THE BAPTIST FULL BACK PIECE WITH SALOME DANCING IN A REALLY SEXY STRIPPER WEDDING SCENE IN THE BACKGROUND. IT IS GOING TO BE REALLY COOL. AFTER 18 YEARS, I STILL LOVE TO TATTOO. I SEE SOME PEOPLE REALLY BURNT OUT ON IT, AND GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS BECAUSE THEY ARE TO SPOILED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE.. IF THAT EVER HAPPENS TO ME, DRAG ME OUT BACK AND SHOOT ME!!!

Who’s the heaviest influence in your style? Do you have a shrine or anything for the person yet? I LIKE ALOT OF PEOPLE AND LOVE THE EXPLOSION OF STYLE AND TECHNIQUE THAT SO MANY REALLY GOOD PEOPLE ARE DOING. I GOT A SLEEVE FROM PAUL BOOTH, AND IT WAS GREAT AT AN EARLY AGE IN MY CAREER TO BE ABLE TO WATCH HIM LAYER BLACK N GRAY LIKE THAT. NO SHRINES TO ANYONE, JUST A BIG FAN OF ART IN ALL MEDIUMS.
What do you love about tattooing? DEBBIE INKSMITH TOLD ME ONCE TO DO EVERY TATTOO AS IF IT WERE MY LAST. ALWAYS STUCK WITH ME. I LOVE COMING IN EVERYDAY AND TRYING TO DO SOMETHING FUN. I LOVE THAT PEOPLE GET LARGE SCALE THINGS. I HAVE DONE 4 FULL BACK PIECES AS PEOPLES FIRST TATTOOS. THAT NEVER HAPPENED IN THE 90'S. I DO MISS THE CARNIVAL CHAOS THAT WAS TATTOOING IN THE 90'S A BIT THOUGH..


What do you think sucks about it?THERE IS ALOT OF EGO FOR PEOPLE THAT TRACE OTHER PEOPLES ARTWORK FOR A LIVING. OR PEOPLE THAT DO ONE-TRICK PONY ASS SHIT AND THINK THE WORLD OWES THEM SOMETHING FOR IT. 20 YEARS AGO THE HAND FULL OF PEOPLE THAT WERE TRUE MASTERS OF CERTAIN STYLES, AND THOSE PEOPLE GOT THE ROCK STAR RESPECT THAT THEY HAD. IN 2010 THERE ARE A HAND FULL OF PEOPLE IN EVERY CITY IN AMERICA THAT CAN PROLIFICALLY DO ALL STYLES, AND CREATE A FLAIR OR STYLE OF THEIR OWN. MOST OF US DON'T NEED OUR DICKS SUCKED TO DO IT EITHER...
What’s on your bookshelf –tattoo related? I HAVE TRIED TO COLLECT EVERY BOOK I CAN. YOU NAME, IT I OWN IT. IF I DON'T HAVE IT YET, I WILL...
So is it me, or do your tattoo's hurt less than normal? I'M PRETTY LIGHT HANDED AND PRETTY QUICK. PHILADELPHIA EDDIE TOLD ME WHEN I WAS REAL YOUNG, THAT THE SPEED IS ALL IN TAKING AWAY THE TIME WHEN THE NEEDLE IS NOT IN THE SKIN.... I RUN ALL MACHINES WITH A NICE SOFT BREAKDOWN, AND RUN CUTBACKS FOR LINING AND SHADING....
You were listening to a lot of old-school hip-hop when I was last in your shop... What do you think is the funnest music to listen to while sinking ink? HIP-HOP WAS THE SALES GUYS FLAVOR THAT DAY. I LIKE A REALLY WIDE VARIETY OF MUSIC. BLUES, GARAGE, METAL, STONERROCK, SWING, AND 70,80'S PUNK...

You mentioned that when you'd like to retire you'd like to travel ... is that for the world-wide domination, or just to amuse yourself? AMUSE MYSELF. I THINK I'M GOING TO TAKE A WEEK A MONTH OFF TO TRAVEL NEXT YEAR...
Must be because you're so VERY easy on the eyes... speaking of: What excites you--How do you get your kicks (not tattooing)? DRINK, PAINT, CHASE GIRLS, MOVIES ETC...

How awesome is mAryd (um, that's me)? YOU ARE AWESOME!!


What’s a girl gotta do to get a ('nother) tshirt around here, my son stole mine (what's your merch link websites)?? www.VILLAINARTS.COM


I've ordered books, belt buckles, and all sorts of shit and every delivery is flawless, and the service is supreme.

Alll Photos of Troy's artwork and tattoos are courtesy of the artist.



Thanks for your time Troy, I realize how precious it is. See you on the flip side and stay away from furries (or don't).http://www.villainarts.com/

















No comments:

Post a Comment